Elder Berry Elixir Kits on Sale | August 8 – 18
Get em’ Started!
It’s that time of year again folks! Beginning August 9th, Moondrop Elixir Kits will be on sale at a discounted price through August 19.
It might seem that cold and flu season is a long way off but good things take time to brew! We need 6-8 weeks to brew those luscious berries and other tasty organic herbs that will turn them into a nutritious, immune-boosting powerhouse of defense against the nasties that lurk in the dark corners of upcoming fall and winter.
- You can place an order anytime by phone or email here.
- Pick up will begin at 3:00 pm on Wednesday (unless you don’t mind waiting for me to put one together).
- To receive the special pricing you must pick your kit up by Saturday August 18th.
- Can’t get in to the store and would like yours shipped? Place your order, I can invoice you through email and ship to you!
- Also new this year – orders are starting to fill up already – so I will most likely need to limit the number of pressings I can offer.
For those newbies who haven’t been with us for the past 4 years, here is how it all works:
- Pre-order and purchase your elixir kit of organic dried elder berries and other fortifying herbs and spices at The Cottage. Your kit will include recipes to turn the herbs into your choice of liquid extract (in water, vinegar, or alcohol). You can reserve your kit by visiting, calling or emailing the store.
- If making the vinegar or alcohol extraction, you will dump the entire kit into a wide mouth quart-sized jar and fill the rest of the jar space up with either vinegar, brandy, or vodka (approximately 24-25 ounces of liquid), cap it and store it.
- Store your concoction in a darkish and coolish space where you won’t forget to shake it and talk sweet nothings to it on a daily basis. The fridge is too cold – it will make the extracting process less potent!
- After six to eight weeks it will be time to filter the liquid. You can do this process at home, or, you can sign up for a complimentary ‘pressing’ at The Cottage on October 20th.
- Once your extract is pressed you will add raw local honey (Siciliano’s Market has a big vat of golden goodness that you can purchase by the ounce – bring your own container and pour it yourself).
- Take a tablespoon per day to ward of the icks. If the icks get you, then ramp up your intake by taking several teaspoons per day to help shorten your recovery time.
Besides your Elder Berry kit, here are other supplies you will need for making a pressed elixir:
- Two quart-size mason jars with a wide mouth opening
- Steeping bag (available at The Cottage if you don’t already have them)
- Approximately 25 ounces of chosen extractor – so 1/5 of *vodka, *brandy, or organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of raw local honey (you will add this after pressing)
*If using alcohol, it’s best to use 100 proof as the extra alcohol will pull properties from the herbs more effectively. Schmirnoff 100 proof vodka is what I use.